Challenges with IBM Licensing
- IBM software licensing is complex and changes. Managing compliance can prove challenging.
- IBM software audits are inevitable. Resulting license purchases are unbudgeted and can cost millions of dollars.
- Most organizations are out-of-compliance in one or more ways, yet are unaware.
Opportunities with IBM Licensing
- Compliance issues can be largely mitigated by organizations that engage in a comprehensive expert review of their IBM usage and entitlements before an audit.
- Organizations may uncover opportunities for substantial cost savings and cost avoidance during a license review process.
- A robust software asset management program with documented procedures for audit notices, and properly trained personnel, can greatly improve vendor negotiation outcomes.
IBM Licensing Guide
Download Miro’s Whitepaper on IBM Licensing & IBM Audits for an extensive guide detailing everything you need to know regarding how IBM Licensing works and how to determine what types of licensing you should buy and what types of contracts are available.
Miro’s 3 Step Approach to IBM License Reviews
Miro’s 3 Step Process is designed to help organizations remain knowledgeable, meet contractual IBM Passport Advantage Agreement (IPAA) terms to track all their IBM software deployments, have a high level of confidence in their compliance status, and be prepared if IBM exercises its right to audit deployments. It guides an organization through the identification of all deployed software assets so they can be analyzed against all contracted licensing entitlements. This analysis produces strategies and information that organizations can use to make the best decisions for their businesses.
1. IBM License & Subscription Assessment
Miro does a license assessment (friendly audit) of the organization for comparison to its entitlements and establishes a baseline compliance position. Miro’s review can be as thorough as a software vendor’s license compliance assessment.
License reviews establish the baseline required for building or resetting a software asset management (SAM) program. The license inventory (i.e., entitlements) is compared to the deployed software, applying the appropriate licensing rules for the edition and version of each product, as defined by IBM and which may have additional circumstances within the organization’s specific contracts with IBM.
An IBM License Assessment is a point-in-time review of an organization’s software license position, with a detailed strategic report that outlines various options to mitigate shortfalls, surpluses, and future changes. After the initial assessment, Miro’s Managed Services (link) is available as a long-term option for organizations to stay compliant on an ongoing and continual basis.
While many organizations have active software management programs, their teams often interpret the vendor’s policies and rules differently than the software vendor itself. This leads to situations where the organization believes it’s fully compliant when it’s not. Miro bridges the gap between these interpretations and helps organizations understand where they may have significant compliance issues.
2. Cost Containment & License Optimization
Miro provides various options to optimize an enterprise’s software deployment based on the organization’s needs and future planning
Miro will provide a detailed impact analysis report showing how the suggested changes will affect the organization’s licensing estate.
- Addressing acquisition requirements
- Addressing divestiture requirements
- Preparing for Server Platform changes
- Preparing for a shift to or from a Public Cloud
- Transitioning into or Renewing a new type of contract with IBM
- Implementing a New IBM-based Solution
- Planning for a licensing downsizing
- Implementing or changing a Disaster Recovery plan
Miro can recommend advanced deployment strategies for an organization to use the licenses it already has instead of purchasing new licenses to cover its requirements. This includes both advanced strategies on configuration and license allocation.
3. Strategy Execution
The organization can choose from the presented strategies based on which is most suitable for their needs. Miro can assist in executing strategies that may include license procurement, contract negotiations, license migrations, license upgrades,
and what-if licensing scenarios based on recommendations around changes to server allocations and environment redesigns. Any of these may be required to keep the organization in compliance, or to execute its future strategy.
This deliverable reveals shortfalls and/ or surpluses, and recommends strategies for addressing them. Miro works with the organization to design a strategic plan based on precedent and profile, with an established primary negotiation position and acceptable secondary or tertiary positions. This is used in preparation for and during negotiations with the vendor. Miro licensing experts can participate either directly or indirectly in the negotiation sessions.
IBM License Procurement Strategies
These are recommendations made to the organization on strategic ways to procure the licenses and subscriptions required for their business needs that may improve pricing, terms, or conditions.
Present & Future Planning
Numerous events and scenarios that may impact the organization will be considered, including the past, present, and future projected changes such as implementations, data centers, acquisitions, divestitures, consolidations, virtualization technologies, and similar. The organization will receive a detailed plan with the recommendations and several options on how to optimize IBM software licensing.